Life Events

Dependent Child (age 19 or over) Leaves School

When your child who is 19 or older leaves school or is no longer a "full time" student, the child is no longer eligible for coverage under the Welfare Trust as a dependent. But, the child may be eligible for Continuation Coverage. There is an exception to this rule if your child became disabled before losing coverage.

If you want to obtain private health insurance for your child, check out our links to external sites providing insurance quotes and information.

Plan Checklist

  • When your child ceases to be a full time student, you must notify the Trust Customer Service Office within 60 days. You will become liable for any health claims paid by the Trust for any services after your dependent ceases to be eligible.
  • Continuation Coverage can continue for up to thirty-six months provided timely payments are made.

Also Consider...

See the "External Related Links" on this page for resources regarding the selection and purchase of individual health insurance.

External Links